To this child, the British comedy series Are You Being Served served as a milestone. Acting as one of my first notable uses of a VCR, I would re-watch episodes with my uncle and we would laugh at it again and again. I guess, in retrospect, it also served to teach me English (as well as the German word for bra, it has to be noted). Sure, by today’s standards this was a sexist + racist + homophobic show, yet it is so well etched in my memory that I still do revisit it from time to time.
Alas, nothing has prepared me for the Wikipedia news bulletin. Apparently, from the entire original cast, only one of the actors is still alive – Mr Rumbold (actually, Nicholas Smith, but to me he will always be Mr Rumbold). Conforming with my morbid mood of late, the bulk of this crew had departed during recent years:
- Mr Humphries (John Inman) died in 2007, age 71, as consequence of food poisoning.
- Mrs. Slocombe (Mollie Sugden) died in 2009, age 86.
- Ms Brahms (Wendy Richard) died in 2009, like her boss, but age 65. Cancer is all the proof one needs for the absence of a loving god.
- Young Mr Lucas (Trevor Bannister) died in 2011, age 76. He died while gardening, which should serve as a lesson to us all.
- Captain Peacock (Frank Thornton) died in 2013, age 92 (good on him!).
I take my hat off to all of them. You have all served me very well indeed.
Image used under the assumption of fair use